Friday, August 23, 2013

Turning Lemons into Lemonade

This week I got the long awaited call...  our new back door had arrived!

So, H and I headed down on Saturday to pick it up.  We popped it into our Matrix (man that thing has been amazing at dragging all sorts of big things home for us!) and headed back up the hill to our house.

While I was inappropriately fondling it, I had a big rain cloud drop a bucket of cold water on me....... there was a big problem with our new door....



Notice anything? .....    Maybe this might help....


Yup, we only wanted 1 hole for the lock- aaaahhhg!  So, after a frantic call to the door supplier, he confirmed by fear that as a custom order door we were essentially s*#t outta luck, and we'd have to find a work around (lesson learned for next time, entry doors come standard with 2 holes unless specified!).

So, I asked him what he would suggest to get me out of the predicament I had found myself in.  I explained that I really wanted to stick with the square back plated design as it has a nice vintage vibe and matched the square door lites so well, and that I wanted Weiser to keep it compatible with the rest of the doors in the house.

So, we checked out the Weiser website and came up with two options that had matching square back plated levers and deadbolts.

The Standard Collections which I was familiar with:


And, the Metropolitan Boutique collection which I hadn't seen in stores:


Doing some reading on the Metropolitan and finding out that it was in Canada Only (unlike our southern neighbours it's a pretty rare moment when us Canucks can boast that fact), had even cleaner lines, same lifetime warranty.... and, the real kicker that it was about $40 cheaper for the lock and handle set than the Standard Collection (and amazingly, the set worked out over $20 cheaper than the original Verdani keyed lever that I was originally planning to use) I was sold.


So, I've placed my order for Halifax Square and matching deadbolt, which should be arriving in a week or so.  And....yes, I may have done an awkward 8.5 month pregnant dance to celebrate my win ;)

1 comment:

  1. A bit late, but I am on the hunt for a modern looking front door and a lockset to go with it and found your blog. I noticed the same locks and levers are sold under Kwikset Brand in the US. Maybe the cylinders themselves are a different design who knows, but the rest seems similar to me.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from other Crafty folks